Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rylie turns 6

Rylie turned 6 last week! We had a fun family party and I made cupcakes from recipes in Cybele Pascal's Allergen-Free Bakers Handbook. I made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing, and carrot ginger cupcakes with orange 'buttercream' icing. Both recipes were wheat free, dairy free, soy free, nut free and egg free. Rylie is not allergic to wheat or eggs, but Rowan is - so I always make safe treats that Rowan can have too. The chocolate cupcakes were ok (Rylie and Rowan loved them) and the carrot ginger cupcakes were freakin' delicious! You would never have guessed that they were missing wheat and eggs. The carrot ginger recipe was a little more
Rylie's cupcake tree
complicated - additional steps like shredding carrots, and zesting fresh ginger
and orange rind. But it was worth the effort!

A few nights earlier, on her 'real' birthday,
I made her a safe chocolate cake using Cherrybrook Kitchen cake mix. Having safe cake mix on hand made it really easy to whip something up for our weeknight celebration with just the four of us.

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures. So happy to hear your kids enjoyed the cupcakes!

    all the best, and Happy Birthday to Rylie!

    Cybele Pascal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cybele! I'm a huge fan and have both of your cookbooks. Your recipes are fantastic and I love being able to make homemade treats for my girls. My entire family loved the chocolate cake with chocolate icing!

    ReplyDelete