Friday, March 25, 2011

Allergy-Free Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

This is a really easy recipe and makes a great after-school snack. I have a batch baking in the oven as I type. They're allergy-free (of course), but I also like that the ingredients are simple and it's not a processed snack with tons of sugar.

Ingredients 
2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1 cup (packed) currants, raisins, or other dried fruit
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola or safflower, to eliminate soy)
1 cup apple juice (I prefer Mott's Natural)

Instructions
If fruit pieces are hard, set them in a bit of hot water to moisten.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13" pan, or two 8x8" pans. Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. The mixture should be moist enough to form a ball, without extra liquid.

Put mixture in prepared pan(s) and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and cut into squares while still hot. Wait until the bars cool before trying to remove them from the pan.

Side notes: I use cranberries and raisins for the fruit. My mixture never quite seems to fill a 9 x 13 pan. I think 11 x 7 would work well.
It also helps to use a large piece of parchment paper to press down on the mixture in the pan, to spread it evenly.

Recipe created by Devyani at kidswithfoodallergies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment